Who’s ready for a vacation!! Time to make some travel plans.
I’m really excited about some upcoming trips this year. Next month, we’re going on a ski trip to Mont Tremblant – my first time ever in Canada! I am beyond excited. I can’t believe I haven’t visited the country before. Also, looking forward a trip to Florida for some sun. And still in the works is a girl’s trip to visit my friend and old college roommate overseas and a bachlorette party. It’s going to be a fun year!
Trying to figure out the beauty travel essentials is a little tough – you want to bring everything! But, alas, you need to narrow it down – or watch while TSA confiscates your favorite product. No worries, the Beauty Insiders are here to help! We have some seasoned travel pros in this group. And, introducing for the first time is Pam Henzi! We worked together back in my Revlon days and she recently joined Laura Geller.
Let’s see what the Beauty Insiders are traveling with these days…
Pam Henzi |VP eCommerce and Digital, Laura Geller New York
Jennifer Kapahi | Co-Founder of treStiQue Beauty
“I travel all the time and always bring the same things with me when I’m on the plane. In my carry-on is one leather pouch that fits all my essentials: Makeup, skin care, a mini hairbrush, phone charger, eye care, a pen and a snack bar.
I put all my makeup inside my trestique Le Pak makeup bag which keeps me from “overpacking”. My go-to’s for makeup touchups is my trestique Concealer Crayon in Porcelain, my trestique Brow Pencil in Americano, my trestique Eye Pencil in Swiss Chocolate and my trestique Mini Plumping Lip Balm in Paradise Pink. I feel put together and ready to go when my dark circles vanish and my lips are moisturized. I never wear anything on my skin because I like to feel fresh and clean.
For skincare, I always carry my Elizabeth Arden 8 hour hand cream which keeps my hands moisturized since I’m always washing them and my facial wipes which are refreshing when I land- I use any brand with mini packs (I like OLEHENRIKSEN, Yes To Cucumbers and Sephora’s brand). I have oily skin so I don’t like to add on extra cream when I travel. I use Ila rose oil as part of my routine before I leave the house.
For my eye care, I have my eye glasses which I hardly use except on over night flights since I can’t see well in them. I also have my ReNu eye drops for when my contacts get super dry. Lastly, snack bars. I take a lemon Luna bar or a KIND bar just in case because I always get hungry :)”
Shop Jenn’s Favorites:
Khira Karam | Makeup Artist
Back when I was working in fashion and traveling half the year, I literally became a pro at packing my suitcase (always a carry on) with the perfect selection of clothes, shoes and accessories for anything that could be thrown my way. Packing products however was a bit more challenging and got even more challenging over the years as my skincare routine became more intense. Fast forward to the present, and I’ve got it down pat!
The two most important things to me when I travel is to make sure my skin is hydrated/protected and to prevent breakouts. These are NOT my most important issues in my daily routine (which is more about anti aging and brightening) but when I travel, whether it’s on a plane or just to go away for the weekend, it throws everything off. I don’t sleep as much, I don’t drink as much water, and I’m typically not eating the same way I do at home. It’s a perfect storm for dehydration and unwelcome guests! These aren’t the ONLY things that I pack, but they are the products I wouldn’t leave without.
- A gentle cleansing milk and muslin cloth. (If you aren’t using a muslin cloth to clean your face, I promise you- it’s life changing).
- A soothing and protecting cream such as Avene Skin Recovery Cream
- An SPF such as La Roche Posay Daily Moisturizer with SPF
- A hydrating eye cream. I have been loving one that I got at Space NK called VenEffect anti-aging eye treatment.
- And finally I always have Hexomedine which is like liquid gold if I feel a breakout. I got it in a French pharmacy but you can order it online now.
As for makeup, I like things that I can apply with fingers so I don’t have to worry about too many dirty brushes. Think lots of pots and sticks!
- For Face:RMS buriti bronzer and lip 2 cheek, Glossier stretch that can be used as foundation or concealer, Pat McGrath’s Skin Fetish to highlight and Laura Mercier Translucent powder to set and take down shine.
Eyes: Mac paint pots for lids, Laura Mercier caviar stick for liner or to use in my crease and super black mascara for lashes. I am loving one that I saw Celine Bernaerts use in one of her tutorials called Extreme Lash Dimension by Mac.
Lips: A simple gloss to hydrate or add shine like the By Terry Baume de Rose.
Finally, I always travel with my Nurse Jamie Beauty Bear Pillow and love it!! I absolutely love to visit family and friends and explore new places and these products really help me to do it without having to sacrifice taking care of my skin and looking polished along the way!
Shop Khira’s Favorites:
Jenna Hilzenrath | Director of Public Relations, Birchbox
My travel essentials:
- Supergoop!® Day to Day Value Set: this pouch has minis of all my favorite SPF products beyond just your basic sunscreen – there’s a serum, hand cream, eye cream, lip balm and more.
- I’m not quite brave enough to put on a sheet mask in-flight, but I always pack a mask or two to use at the hotel. I like this Peter Thomas Roth set with travel-size tubes of fives of its bestsellers.
- Dr. Jart+ Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Cream: this is a rich (but not greasy!) moisturizer that also calms and conceals any redness and irritation. My skin always acts up when I travel so I appreciate the 2-for-1 benefits of this product.
- I always bring a travel-size Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray – even though it’s prime purpose is adding body and texture, I think it also moonlights as both a dry shampoo and hair spray.
- I used to pack a cute, travel-size hairdryer but ultimately came to terms with the fact that it just didn’t have enough muscle to battle my thick, frizzy hair. Now I suck it up and lug my heavy-duty Elchim blowdryer (along with a paddle brush, round brush and curling iron!). It takes up more room but gets the job done way better, so it’s worth it.
Shop Jenna’s Favorites:
Delphine Horvath | Asst. Professor – Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing, FIT
I find traveling for business or vacation always very exciting! But packing my beauty products to fit in a carry-on luggage is even more challenging than calculating how many pairs of shoes I should bring for a week in Paris!
I try to pack what really counts, and only TSA approved items. I usually don’t waste space on generic products like body lotion or hand soap that I can find in hotels. The Caudalie Favorite Set Travel-size Essentials is my favorite set to achieve a French Glow. All items are perfectly sized for travel. Depending on the duration of my journey, I take the whole set or just my must-have trio that never leaves my travel bag. I apply the Lip Conditioner, Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet Cream over the face to keep my skin deeply hydrated and I follow with Premier Cru The Eye to instantly awaken my eyes.I never board a long flight with mascara, but I always end one with my favorite mascara, the Diorshow Mascara.
Whether I’m hopping off of a plane, train, or bus, I have my Mini Le Pak bag from TreStique with the 3 products I selected for my set: a Mini Concealer Crayon, a Mini Shadow Crayon and a Mini Lip Crayon. They are so user-friendly that I can do a natural makeup in less than 2 minutes and I won’t mess up even if I experience some unexpected turbulences! For a pre-arrival revival, I use the individually packaged Skin-Balancing Cleansing Towelettes by Sweat to refresh my travel-tired (and sometimes oily) face. Their effect is cooling, gently cleansing and hydrating with coconut water and vitamins. I also pick up a mini bottle of Klorane Dry Shampoo and a mini tube of Elmex Sensitive Toothpaste. They allow me to go from an overnight flight to a meeting without a shower!
My other favorite products I like to bring to avoid any liquid spills in my carry-on luggage are the Milk Makeup Matcha Cleanser, a solid cleanser that makes my skin instantly refreshed and glowing, and the Jo Loves Fragrance Paintbrush (created by Jo Malone). This clear fragranced gel dries in seconds and leaves an amazing smell, I wear Green Orange & Coriander or Pomelo.
Shop this post: